Plantain is one of the main staple ingredients used on the African continent. From North to South, East to West, it is boiled, steamed, pounded, fried or even roasted.
Often confused with its cousin the banana in countries less familiar with it, this fruit looking vegetable can be eaten yellow or green as a side dish, accompanying stews or proteins; or ripe as an afternoon snack or a sweet and savory side dish.
When you are tired of whole plantain, you can always pound it and enjoy it with a good palm nut stew.
As you have noticed, there are seldom places your culinary creativity can take you that plantain cannot go.
Today we want you to travel with us to a use of plantain you may have not seen or thought of yet with our latest culinary innovation.
The Delicious Plantain Bread Recipe
Ingredients used in this recipe (for 2 loafs and 6 muffins or 3 loafs of plantain bread):
- 8 very ripe plantains
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of water (or less as needed)
Enjoy this plantain bread with you favorite jam to complete a wholesome breakfast or with a glass of tea or milk as a healthy afternoon snack.
The fibers and natural sugars in this recipe are guaranteed to fill you up and give you the boost of energy you need to last you until dinner.
- Slice your plantain bread and freeze to keep it fresh and use it over a few weeks. You can wrap it in aluminum foil and heat it in your oven or toast it.
- If you’d like to attempt the plantain cake which has a more fluffy consistency, use about half of the mashed plantain and do not pre-cook it before baking your batter.
- Plantain is a potassium rich food which is known to help lower blood pressure by combating the effects of salts.
- Cooked plantain contain vitamin A and C which help boost the immune system and protect you from infections.
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Let us know what you think! If you’d like to see more culinary innovations from us, like and share this video so we know to bring you more!